Sharing some common phenomena at workplaces to help you put words to your angst:
- The boss want us to solve all kinds of problems instead of the problems we’re supposed to deal with!
- The team/colleague is nice. They just disappear when work needs to be done.
- One of the job requirements is mind-reading.
- There are too many managers and no one to manage!
- None of the managers want to roll up their sleeves and do the work
- Colleagues are too competitive; most of them specialise in humble bragging.
Sharing some ways to think about seeking new opportunities and change. They are not necessarily direct quotes but lines adapted from some people who articulated them so I attributed them here.
- Why make a living when you can make a difference? (Seth Godin)
- Are you working hard to avoid mistakes or to achieve something? (Angela Duckworth)
- Whether you’re important or not does not matter as much as whether you’re working on something important.
- If the work is going to be uncomfortable, then at least work for an outcome you can be comfortable with.
- What are you contributing – your labour or your work?